Wednesday 31 October 2012

Why Issue based theatre is so important to me

This image is from a touring show called "Crime of the century". In this show i play the mother of the victim who gets killed after a fight kicks off.  (The mad woman at the top of this shape is me)

This show approaches the issue from a more holistic approach as my previous blogg mentions. It looks at all the factors that could add to why young individuals get into such a desensitised positive which can allow them to take someone elses life.

I think this is important to share with those of you who are interested in my blog or the themes which I'm interested in, as this show and my participation within this piece is the reason as to why my line of inquiry is taking this direction, and why i wish to find out more about it.


Another reason which is why i feel a sense of duty to further research this topic is because my cousin Shaquille Smith (see above) was murdered on the 31st August 2008. This shattered my family, and my life personally as i have never really been able to find closure on this. He was only 14years old and was killed literally outside his own home.

I have to try and help this issue in any way i can. And for more selfish reasons i feel that if reflective practise could do anything it could helpfully give me a little bit of closure and understanding as to what is happening about this issue, what more there is to do, and hopefully force me to look deeper into myself and my life and identify why i cant move on from this "incident" that happened 4years ago now.

Just thought some background as to why my inquiry is shaping up to how it is would be helpful. Not only for those who are reading this but for myself also.

1 comment:

  1. Your sharing this experience is very moving Jojo. Finding ways to develop positive stories from circumstances such as you describe are important motivating factors for developing community change. As an arts practitioner your use of this experience in your inquiry and the how this affects your empathy for others are important points to add in your critical reflection.

    ReplyDelete